By Jill Hyams
This is a delicious high vitamin and mineral-packed bread with its mix of flavours. Sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds are rich in Omega-6 fatty acids, and high fibre.
Pumpkin seeds include good levels of B vitamins, iron, magnesium and protein, while sesame seeds are a rich source of zinc, selenium, copper, iron, vitamin B6, and vitamin E. They are also recommended for menopausal symptoms.
Avocados are a great source of Omega-3 fats and carry vitamins C, E, K, and B-6, as well
as riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, and potassium.
Blackstrap molasses will add a distinct flavour to your bread. It has good levels of iron, selenium
and copper. Use blackstrap molasses in small amounts as in this recipe because it is very sweet.
This bread is a delightful accompaniment to any meal.
145g sesame seeds
70g pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
125 ml unsweetened almond milk
1tsp blackstrap molasses
180g avocado, mashed
80g courgette, finely chopped in a food processor
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C (320F ) .
2. Line a 1lb loaf pan with non-stick baking paper.
3. Grind the sesame and pumpkin seeds in a good food processor to a fine flour. Add the baking
soda and salt, then pulse briefly just to combine.
4. Heat the almond milk lightly, then add the molasses and stir well.
5. Add to all the remaining ingredients, including the seed mixture. Mix well and form a wet dough with the dry ingredients.
6. Put into the lined loaf pan and bake for 50-60 mins. Allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing.