By Julie King
2 tins of butter beans, drained
100 ml olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 tins of chopped tomatoes or a jar of passata
2 tbsp tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a pan over high heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, celery and sliced carrots. Cook till soft and golden in colour.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Add the butter beans and the rest of the olive oil
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Bring heat to high and cook for approximately 10 minutes until sauce starts to thicken slightly.
7. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 40-50 minutes.
Note – the olive oil in this really makes the dish, so don’t skimp on it even though it seems a lot!